注册:
    2003-04-13
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $69,433
    upload_2018-6-13_19-34-48.png
    Two former rivals of Conservative MP Maxime Bernier told reporters that Andrew Scheer made the right decision in firing him from his role as innovation critic for the Official Opposition, but stopped short of personally condemning Bernier.

Speaking with reporters following caucus meetings on Wednesday morning, Erin O’Toole and Tony Clement said they agreed with Scheer’s decision, but cautioned against judging Bernier too harshly for his actions.

“I like Max a lot but I think Max needs to reflect on what it means to be part of a team,” O’Toole said. “You have to put your own ambitions aside. I did that after the leadership. It was a tough leadership [race] but we’re all behind Andrew, and I think Max hasn’t committed to that.”

“Releasing it [the chapter], particularly at a time when we’re trying to rally together with regards to negotiations on NAFTA, was very unfortunate and hopefully he’ll earn his way back.”

Clement, a personal friend of Bernier’s, also said he “absolutely” supported Scheer’s decision.

But he also offered a heated defence of the Beauce MP, who he said remained a valued member of caucus.

“If you’re asking me do I condemn Max Bernier, no, I don’t,” he said. “I think we should offer grace and compassion to people in this situation or in other situations that we find ourselves in. Don’t even try to get me to condemn Max Bernier.”

Regarding Bernier’s actions, reporters asked Clement to clarify which one specifically he felt warranted more compassion.

Clement did not specify if he was referring to the decision to post the already-published chapter or to what some observers have coined a case of “sour grapes” over losing the leadership vote.

“He’s a human being who makes mistakes,” Clement said. “We all make mistakes, so let’s get off our high horses here. I know you want to make a big deal about this, but I’m here to say I’m not here to condemn him. You’re here with the cameras on me, you’re here floating all these questions. I’m not here to condemn.”
    On Tuesday evening, Scheer said in a press release he had removed Bernier from his position in the Conservative shadow cabinet but did not give a reason.

A party official later said the decision stemmed from Bernier posting a chapter opposing supply management from his contentious book, Doing Politics Differently: My Vision for Canada, on his personal website.

Bernier postponed publication in April.

That came after an excerpt of the chapter was published as promotional material for the book and sparked accusations he was being divisive.

Bernier and Scheer were the last two standing in a fierce leadership race for the party last year, with Scheer winning by less than one per cent of votes.

The excerpt from Bernier’s chapter on supply management included the assertion that Scheer only won because of support from “fake Conservatives,” who bought memberships to prevent any changes to the supply management system.

Bernier pushed back on Tuesday night, saying the chapter posted to his website had already been published and he was not putting anything new out there.

Other Conservative MPs offered more cautious words on Wednesday.

Immigration critic Michelle Rempel said the decision was entirely within Scheer’s power as leader of the party.

“The decision on who is in shadow cabinet is the prerogative of our leader,” she told reporters.

Brad Trost, who also ran against Scheer and Bernier in the leadership race, offered similar sentiments.

“He wanted someone exactly on his view on supply management in shadow cabinet,” Trost said of Scheer.

Another former leadership rival, Deepak Obhrai, declined to comment.

Bernier himself also did not offer comment on the matter.

He was seen exiting the Conservative caucus chamber Wednesday morning, but did not stop to speak to reporters.

6. ccc

ccc 难得糊涂 ID:6614 管理成员 VIP

注册:
    2003-04-13
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $69,433
    upload_2018-6-13_19-40-6.png

Let’s start this column with the awkward admission and work backward: Maybe Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer is quite right to demote Maxime Bernier from his front bench. A “shadow cabinet” is one of the more obvious of the fictions that characterize politics in parliamentary democracies. Being “fired” from one will just give Bernier more time to roam the land and cultivate the independent following he enjoys as one of the few elected Conservatives who articulates and represents identifiably conservative ideas.

Leisure time does not seem like the ideal thing for a party leader to give a very obvious rival, one he barely beat to the leadership. At the same time, there is no denying that Scheer has the right to choose his front bench and to pick team members who will stick to the leader’s orchestral charts.

Being 'fired' will just give Bernier more time to roam the land

In April Bernier had announced a forthcoming book (entitled Doing Politics Differently: My Vision for Canada) and had published a chapter attacking dairy supply management. Canadian dairy policy later became Donald Trump’s stated pretext, or one of them, for a more general trade war against Canada and for personal abuse of the prime minister. The chapter had been withdrawn from the web in the spring when Bernier decided, under caucus pressure, to postpone the publication of the whole book. It then reappeared June 5, just as Trump and his surrogates were denouncing Canada’s scheme of dairy protectionism.

[​IMG]
    Conservative MP Maxime Bernier leaves a caucus meeting on Parliament Hill on June 13, 2018. Justin Tang/CP

Last year Bernier had specifically praised Trump in an open letter for calling Canadians’ attention to supply management, which has been a sore spot in other bilateral trade negotiations. The June reappearance of Bernier’s offensive samizdat coincided with him deliberately ducking out of the House of Commons before a unanimous floor vote condemning Trump’s ravings and supporting the PM.

All this is a laborious way of establishing the answers to more obvious questions about Bernier’s political situation. Did he do anything wrong to get demoted? He has always opposed supply management very loudly, and, as he points out, the book chapter was already circulating. He didn’t really do anything different, so it is hard to see how he could be said to be doing anything obviously objectionable or punishable.

But was he engaged in a little game-playing for personal attention while his party’s leader was trying to manage a patriotic frenzy and co-operate with a united all-party front against Trump? That’s probably fair. He wasn’t thrown out of the Conservative caucus altogether. Scheer’s move amounts to a change of seating plan in the House. It is certainly within a leader’s rights to subject a member to such a “punishment” for mere lack of enthusiasm. (And Bernier’s recent verbal Nerf-gun battle with Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes probably didn’t help his case.)

It is hard to see how he could be said to be doing anything obviously objectionable or punishable

But none of this solves any of the underlying strategic problems, one of which is that it is perfectly reasonable to oppose supply management in the interests of Canada while objecting to Trump’s behaviour. Scheer was made Conservative leader partly on the strength of dairy votes in agrarian regions that were weighted heavily in the balloting because they have few everyday Conservatives. He has, in turn, pursued the defence of supply management as leader with a vigour bordering on obsession. He and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh — who are both running against a governing party that created supply management — sometimes seem to be in a war over how many photos of themselves visiting dairy farms they can tweet.

As strategy for a general election, none of this makes one fluid ounce of sense. These parties cannot all win the small handful of seats where the common welfare might seem meaningfully dependent on economic rents from overpriced milk and commodity cheese. Supply-managed foods cost 36 million of us hundreds of dollars a year in exchange for keeping a few thousand landowners in traditional, often literally inherited jobs.

The 36 million, however, are naturally not as well organized as the few thousand. For their interests to prevail, someone has to do the hard work of explaining those interests to the general public and building up political resentment of the rentiers. Or, to put it another way, “do what Max Bernier is doing.”

[​IMG]
    Dairy farmers demonstrate in downtown Ottawa on Sept. 29, 2015, to voice concerns about protecting Canada’s supply management system in Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations. Sean Kilpatrick/CP

The dairy cartel, very intelligently, applies its voting leverage and its lavish political-action budget to the intra-party element of our political system, as opposed to the inter-party warfare. The Mad Men of Milk spend on leadership races, where each dollar and each hour of effort is worth a great deal, rather than on general elections — elections in which, if dairy gets the party leaders it wants, there is no danger of their interests being threatened by any possible result.

What this means is that when Scheer is photographed guzzling milk and grinning slyly, he is not sincerely executing Conservative general election strategy. It is just repayment of friends for having helped with Andrew Scheer leadership campaign strategy. Conservative partisans have to decide what they make of Bernier dissenting from this: is he unjustly besmirching the sacred person of the leader, or is he giving Conservatism a life raft in a sea of spoiled cream? Either way, Scheer had better damn well run the table in dairyland when the election does come.

7. ccc

ccc 难得糊涂 ID:6614 管理成员 VIP

注册:
    2003-04-13
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $69,433
    “fake conservatives" :p:D

8. charley2

charley2 我真的 很胖吗 ID:39709 VIP

注册:
    2004-11-19
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $159,913
    他不安全,把保密资料带到情妇家:D

9. 冷笑六声

冷笑六声 择一城终老,遇一人白首! ID:100052 VIP

注册:
    2011-05-26
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $133,794
    什么意思?
    靠出卖情报上床?:evil:

10. 一二三

一二三 知名会员 ID:96196

注册:
    2010-11-25
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $131,485
    不知道这边的情妇是不是也是公共的

11. duskanddawn

duskanddawn 知名会员 ID:2508

注册:
    2002-08-07
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $48,567
    在这个与川普贸易叫骂的敏感时刻,攻击乳品业保守党支持者是假保守党,这个 Bernier 太没眼力价了吧?或者太有“眼光”了,给保守党拆台?

希尔这个救火做得及时。也证明 Bernier 当初落选,是保守党之幸。他怎么跟 Supply management 那么有仇?轻的说是没智慧。

12. ottawa_tj

ottawa_tj 知名会员 ID:148791

注册:
    2015-02-22
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $72,312
    这个Beriner是不是瑞老大的领导啊?

13. RareEarth

RareEarth 知名会员 ID:113430

注册:
    2012-10-10
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $32,102
    保守党推出戏尔这种人是基于社会对哈勃保守党的反弹。 戏尔就象当年安省保守党的姜脱力胡大可之流。 说的好听是和稀泥,走中间路线,说的不好听是首鼠两端。这种人 选战的时候没有卖点。基本上没有戏。 另外,NDP 搞个稀客大包头,又解决了左派分票问题

14. gocanoeing

gocanoeing 知名会员 ID:72273

注册:
    2006-11-21
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $32,071
    真正的保守党反对靠政府规定来垄断赚钱是很正常的

15. RareEarth

RareEarth 知名会员 ID:113430

注册:
    2012-10-10
    帖子:
    支持:
    声望:
    金钱:
    $32,102
    农产品如果完全靠进口,币值一波动,就会有人吃不上饭。 在发达国家,从来就没有完全自由 农产品市场,都是受到国家政策保护的。 所谓保守主义是相对激进而言的,不是反对进步。真正的保守主义者反对激进的改革。 无论这种激进改革的思想基础是社会主义,还是市场原教旨主义。激进的市场原教旨主义者实际上是伪保守党。

分享此页面

扫描下面的二维码分享到微信!
http://bbs.comefromchina.com/threads/1636092/