Short-term rental permits provide consumer protection and peace of mind


Property holders, who want to rent their principal residence or secondary vacation property, like a cottage, for short-term rentals, must now register for a permit and provide the necessary requirements – providing consumers protection and peace of mind.

Short-term rental permits

Short-term rental properties are permitted for primary residences in urban neighourhoods and rural villages and secondary properties in other rural settings, like a vacation home or cottage. The City’s short-term rental permit, which becomes an enforceable requirement on April 1, requires the property holder to meet the criteria and provide key information to the City and customers:

  • Contact information of the property owner, holder or manager for any urgent need or requirement
  • Proof the property the urban or rural village property is a principal address
  • Proof of ownership of a secondary property
  • Proof of insurance
  • Registration on a short-term rental platform
  • Floor plans of the residence, along with all the exits
  • Approvals from any condominium corporation or property owner, should the permit applicant is renting the principal residence.
  • Listing of the number of bedrooms to ensure the numbers of guests do not exceed capacity limits
  • All the necessary emergency contact information, such as 9-1-1
  • Listing to the customers of the City’s bylaws – such as noise, parking and property maintenance regulations

A short-term rental host can also hire a third-party to act as a property manager, but consumer-protection requirements must also be met, including:

  • Contact information
  • Criminal check
  • Proof of insurance

Individuals, who are interested in making their urban principal address or secondary urban residence available for short-term rentals, must acquire a permit starting Friday, April 1.

Landlords, condominium corporations and housing cooperations may prohibit short-term rentals of their properties. In order to do so, they must apply to the City for a prohibition.

Permit applicants and short-term rental customers can visit for more information about short-term rental permit applications and by-law – including all the requirements and permit fees.