'I became a monster,' says disgraced Scout leader facing prison for sex abuse

  • 主题发起人 主题发起人 guest
  • 开始时间 开始时间

guest

Moderator
管理成员
注册
2002-10-07
消息
402,608
荣誉分数
76
声望点数
228
There were few smiles in Courtroom No. 8 on Thursday, but two of them came from disgraced Scout leader Scott Stanley, the sexual predator and self-described “monster” in the prisoner’s dock. He smiled at the sight of his family seated in the front fow.

He didn’t smile when he stood and apologized for betraying the trust of four boys, their parents and Scouts Canada.

“Who I am hates who I was and what I’ve done,” Stanley told court in a brief, quickly read statement at the end of his sentencing hearing.

He said he has taken full responsibility and acknowledged that “my behaviour was not that of a proper and responsible adult toward my victims.

“I betrayed their trust,” said Stanley.

In his own words, the disgraced Scout leader said his scheme to molest vulnerable boys in his trust was “shameful and monstrous.”

“I became a monster,” Stanley, 31, wrote in his letter of apology filed in court.

The former City of Ottawa lifeguard’s defence lawyer painted a portrait of a man on the losing side of life. Unable to fit in with his peers, Stanley won misplaced acceptance with teens half his age, only to sexually exploit them.

“He recognizes his breach of trust and is here today to express remorse and regret,” lawyer Brett McGarry told court. “And he knows he’s going to be paying for this for the rest of his life.”

McGarry said Stanley is “well aware of his misdeeds” and looks forward to paying his debt to society “and moving on.”

But prosecutor Suzanne Schriek, drawing on text messages from Stanley to some of the boys, firmly established that Stanley was a manipulative sexual predator.

She also noted that Stanley’s texts were not only sexually explicit but had a self-serving element of excusing himself.

“He knows what he’s doing,” Schriek told court.

She also noted that some of his texts appeared to guilt his victims for his own problems. In one text, read in court, Stanley told one boy that he would get in trouble if he talked about the sexual abuse.

Even after Stanley had several warnings to not be alone with a Boy Scout, and after he had been suspended, he was still texting some of his victims.

“Do you think your mom would let you sleep over?” he wrote in one text.

In another text, he wrote, “This whole suspension thing is really f—ing me over right now.”

Stanley also messaged one of his victims, saying he didn’t want to get kicked out of Scouts Canada, noting, “I’m afraid I’m going to lose you.”

Stanley has pleaded guilty to 16 sex offences against four boys, aged 12 to 15, in 2012 and 2013.

The Crown has requested a six- to eight-year prison term. The defence has asked for a three-year sentence.

Justice Heather Perkins-McVey will deliver the sentence on Oct. 29, at 1:15 p.m.

twitter.com/crimegarden

gdimmock@ottawacitizen.com

b.gif


查看原文...
 
后退
顶部
首页 论坛
消息
我的