- 注册
- 2002-10-07
- 消息
- 402,612
- 荣誉分数
- 77
- 声望点数
- 228
After more than four months of waiting, Canadians will get their first glimpse today of a video manifesto made by Parliament Hill gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.
RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson is scheduled to appear before a House of Commons committee at 11 a.m. ET where he is to display and discuss the video, as well as brief MPs on the Mounties’ investigation stemming from the shooting.
The video could answer lingering questions about Zehaf-Bibeau’s actions that day — when he killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial then stormed Parliament Hill before dying in a shootout inside the Centre Block — including whether he acted alone or had any help planning or carrying out the shootings.
The cellphone video, which is less than one minute long, was shot shortly before the attacks on Oct. 22. In the video, Zehaf-Bibeau discusses waging “jihad,” takes aim at Canada’s foreign policy, threatens the Canadian military and invokes Allah.
After the shootings, Paulson said he wanted to make the video public, but appeared to backtrack a few weeks later, suggesting that the RCMP could one day release a transcript of the video.
Last month, MPs on the Commons’ national security committee invited Paulson to show the video, saying it was time Canadians saw the recording, or to give them an explanation of why it couldn’t be released. The Senate’s national security committee followed with a similar request.
Earlier this week, Paulson contacted the Commons committee and asked to meet with them Friday to display and discuss the video. MPs have returned to Ottawa at the end of a constituency week to hear Paulson and ask him questions about the RCMP’s file on the shooting.
The testimony and public viewing of the video comes as the Conservatives press ahead with legislation to broaden anti-terrorist powers for CSIS and the RCMP. Next week, the Commons national security committee will review bill C-51, while the Senate’s national security committee is to start review of bill C-44.
The Ontario Provincial Police, meanwhile, have yet to provide a report into their probe about the actions of the RCMP and House of Commons security personnel on the day of the shooting. A report is expected this month.
jpress@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/jpress
查看原文...
RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson is scheduled to appear before a House of Commons committee at 11 a.m. ET where he is to display and discuss the video, as well as brief MPs on the Mounties’ investigation stemming from the shooting.
The video could answer lingering questions about Zehaf-Bibeau’s actions that day — when he killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial then stormed Parliament Hill before dying in a shootout inside the Centre Block — including whether he acted alone or had any help planning or carrying out the shootings.
The cellphone video, which is less than one minute long, was shot shortly before the attacks on Oct. 22. In the video, Zehaf-Bibeau discusses waging “jihad,” takes aim at Canada’s foreign policy, threatens the Canadian military and invokes Allah.
After the shootings, Paulson said he wanted to make the video public, but appeared to backtrack a few weeks later, suggesting that the RCMP could one day release a transcript of the video.
Last month, MPs on the Commons’ national security committee invited Paulson to show the video, saying it was time Canadians saw the recording, or to give them an explanation of why it couldn’t be released. The Senate’s national security committee followed with a similar request.
Earlier this week, Paulson contacted the Commons committee and asked to meet with them Friday to display and discuss the video. MPs have returned to Ottawa at the end of a constituency week to hear Paulson and ask him questions about the RCMP’s file on the shooting.
The testimony and public viewing of the video comes as the Conservatives press ahead with legislation to broaden anti-terrorist powers for CSIS and the RCMP. Next week, the Commons national security committee will review bill C-51, while the Senate’s national security committee is to start review of bill C-44.
The Ontario Provincial Police, meanwhile, have yet to provide a report into their probe about the actions of the RCMP and House of Commons security personnel on the day of the shooting. A report is expected this month.
jpress@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/jpress
查看原文...