Feds confirm Stage 2 money as three teams fight for LRT construction contract

  • 主题发起人 主题发起人 guest
  • 开始时间 开始时间

guest

Moderator
管理成员
注册
2002-10-07
消息
402,613
荣誉分数
77
声望点数
228
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed on Friday the federal government’s commitment of more than $1 billion to help expand municipal rail service in Ottawa, while three construction teams fight for a lucrative contract to extend the LRT line.

Trudeau made the announcement at the massive LRT maintenance, assembly and storage facility on Belfast Road in front of a team of Alstom train builders and several politicians from each level of government.

He plugged in a glowing Big Red O – the beacon that will tell people where LRT stations are – before making the funding official.

Last August, the feds committed $66 million for the early work for Stage 2. Now, they have bought into the full expansion project, which will run trains to Moodie Drive, Algonquin College, Riverside South, the Ottawa International Airport and Trim Road.

The previous Conservative government voiced interest in funding the Stage 2 project before the last federal election, but Mayor Jim Watson said the Liberals’ announcement has more heft.

“This announcement is different because it’s actual real money,” Watson said.

The city has been expecting to receive $1.157 billion from each of the federal and provincial governments for the Stage 2 project. The province made its funding announcement last year.

With the funding in place, the city can start the process of hiring contractors for the $3-billion rail expansion.

The three shortlisted construction teams, which are bona fide LRT building consortia, are expected to be revealed next week. The city believes three bidders is the perfect competitive number of teams.

There is a separate contract competition for the diesel Trillium Line extension. Bidders who want to be considered for the work must submit their qualifications by a deadline later this month.

The city wants to start building Stage 2 in 2019 after undertaking preliminary work in 2018. All Stage 2 lines will be finished by 2023.

Stage 1, which is an LRT line between Tunney’s Pasture and Blair station via a downtown tunnel, is scheduled to open in 2018.

jwilling@postmedia.com

twitter.com/JonathanWilling

b.gif


查看原文...
 
后退
顶部
首页 论坛
消息
我的