多伦多,17名恐怖分子落网

contractor

知名会员
注册
2006-01-29
消息
5,262
荣誉分数
28
声望点数
158
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/06/03/terror-suspects.html

Serious' bomb plot against Canada averted: police

Last Updated Sat, 03 Jun 2006 11:50:03 EDT
CBC News

Declaring that Canada "is not immune to the threat of terrorism," the RCMP announced on Saturday the arrests of 17 people accused of planning a series of attacks against targets in southern Ontario.
An officer is seen outside the police station in Pickering, Ont., Friday night. (CBC)

"This group holds a real and serious intent," RCMP Assistant Commissioner Mike McDonell told reporters.

"Our investigation prevented the assembly of any bombs and attacks from being carried out."

He declined to answer questions about the intended targets but he said Toronto's public transit system was not one of them.

Bill Blair, the city's police chief, told CBC News that officials had gathered information about dates chosen for the attacks, but he refused to provide details.

Ammonium nitrate seized

Police also said they seized about three tonnes of the commonly used fertilizer ammonium nitrate. Just one-third of that material was used in the bombing of a U.S. federal building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people in 1995.

Officers fanned out across the Toronto area on Friday to make the arrests. They later delivered the suspects to the Durham Regional Police Station in Pickering, east of Toronto.

The 12 adult suspects, who face terrorism-related charges, were to appear west of the city in a Brampton courtroom later on Saturday.

All of the suspects are residents of Canada and most are Canadian citizens of various backgrounds, officials said.

'Trained together'

"Our information is that they participated in training altogether," McDonell said.

"For various reasons, they appear to have become adherents of a violent ideology inspired by al-Qaeda," said Luc Portelance, Assistant Director of Operations for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS).

This was the largest counter-terrorism operation and the greatest number of arrests made in Canada since the Anti-terrorism Act came into effect in December 2001.

"These individuals were allegedly intent on committing acts of terrorism against their own country and their own people," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said. "As we have said on many occasions, Canada is not immune to the threat of terrorism."

"I think people will be extremely concerned," Toronto Mayor David Miller told CBC News.

"The good news is that the RCMP and CSIS and the Toronto police were aware of it, were monitoring it, and were able to apprehend the people involved before they acted."

Miller said he had been briefed "for a number of months" about the investigation.

"I was extremely concerned about the potential existence of this organization," he said.
 
后退
顶部
首页 论坛
消息
我的