http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2006/08/09/lebanese-solberg.html
New citizen criticizes Canada's response to Mideast crisis
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 | 11:53 PM AT
CBC News
Minutes after receiving his Canadian citizenship, a Lebanese man spoke out against Ottawa's response to the crisis in the Middle East.
周三,Halifax。
这位黎巴嫩人刚在入籍仪式上宣完誓
Wadih Farah took his oath of citizenship Wednesday during a ceremony at Halifax's Pier 21. After repeating his pledges to the country, he said a few words about the country's handling of the crisis in Lebanon.
"I think they could do a little bit more," said Farah. "They were a little bit slow to pull people out at the beginning."
Federal Immigration Minister Monte Solberg, who was in attendance, says the Conservatives are doing everything they can to help Canadians get out of Lebanon.
"Anyone who has an application already in process is being fast-tracked," he said. "We're trying to make sure we do everything we can to take people who are already in the process and get them here quickly."
Farah also took aim at Prime Minister Stephen Harper's support for Israel.
"I would have loved to have Canada have a more strong position against what's going on," said Farah.
In the days after Israel launched its air campaign against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon, Harper didn't call for a ceasefire, saying Israel's response was measured and justified.
最早,当以色列出兵黎巴嫩时,哈珀没有呼吁停火,而是说以色列的反应是正当的
Last week, however, the prime minister appeared to backtrack on those comments.
上周,哈珀首相看上去准备收回他早先的评论
In an interview for Quebec television, Harper said those comments applied to the early days of the conflict, which he said has now developed into "almost a war."
哈珀在接受Quebec电视采访时说,现在以黎双方的冲突"almost a war"
Solberg to meet Lebanese consul
联邦移民部长Solberg会见黎巴嫩领事
While in Halifax, Solberg was to meet with Lebanon's honorary consul in the city, Wadih Fares.
In July, Fares blasted the Canadian government for supporting Israel in the conflict and urged Ottawa to call for an immediate ceasefire.
Solberg said Wednesday that Canada was doing all it could to help end the conflict.
Solberg will also meet with four provincial ministers for immigration. He will reassure them that the federal Conservative government is doing everything it can to help Lebanese-Canadians still in the troubled country.
部长说联邦政府正在尽力帮助在黎巴嫩的加拿大公民
Ottawa said Wednesday it had arranged for two ships to remove any remaining Canadians from Beirut next week. As many as 13,000 Canadians have already been helped out of Lebanon.
As many as 40,000 Canadian citizens were believed to be in Lebanon when the conflict began on July 12 following a Hezbollah attack on an Israeli military post.
Eight Israeli soldiers were killed and two kidnapped in the attack, which triggered Israeli air raids. Hezbollah militants have countered by sending hundreds of rockets into northern Israel.
New citizen criticizes Canada's response to Mideast crisis
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 9, 2006 | 11:53 PM AT
CBC News
Minutes after receiving his Canadian citizenship, a Lebanese man spoke out against Ottawa's response to the crisis in the Middle East.
周三,Halifax。
这位黎巴嫩人刚在入籍仪式上宣完誓
Wadih Farah took his oath of citizenship Wednesday during a ceremony at Halifax's Pier 21. After repeating his pledges to the country, he said a few words about the country's handling of the crisis in Lebanon.
"I think they could do a little bit more," said Farah. "They were a little bit slow to pull people out at the beginning."
Federal Immigration Minister Monte Solberg, who was in attendance, says the Conservatives are doing everything they can to help Canadians get out of Lebanon.
"Anyone who has an application already in process is being fast-tracked," he said. "We're trying to make sure we do everything we can to take people who are already in the process and get them here quickly."
Farah also took aim at Prime Minister Stephen Harper's support for Israel.
"I would have loved to have Canada have a more strong position against what's going on," said Farah.
In the days after Israel launched its air campaign against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon, Harper didn't call for a ceasefire, saying Israel's response was measured and justified.
最早,当以色列出兵黎巴嫩时,哈珀没有呼吁停火,而是说以色列的反应是正当的
Last week, however, the prime minister appeared to backtrack on those comments.
上周,哈珀首相看上去准备收回他早先的评论
In an interview for Quebec television, Harper said those comments applied to the early days of the conflict, which he said has now developed into "almost a war."
哈珀在接受Quebec电视采访时说,现在以黎双方的冲突"almost a war"
Solberg to meet Lebanese consul
联邦移民部长Solberg会见黎巴嫩领事
While in Halifax, Solberg was to meet with Lebanon's honorary consul in the city, Wadih Fares.
In July, Fares blasted the Canadian government for supporting Israel in the conflict and urged Ottawa to call for an immediate ceasefire.
Solberg said Wednesday that Canada was doing all it could to help end the conflict.
Solberg will also meet with four provincial ministers for immigration. He will reassure them that the federal Conservative government is doing everything it can to help Lebanese-Canadians still in the troubled country.
部长说联邦政府正在尽力帮助在黎巴嫩的加拿大公民
Ottawa said Wednesday it had arranged for two ships to remove any remaining Canadians from Beirut next week. As many as 13,000 Canadians have already been helped out of Lebanon.
As many as 40,000 Canadian citizens were believed to be in Lebanon when the conflict began on July 12 following a Hezbollah attack on an Israeli military post.
Eight Israeli soldiers were killed and two kidnapped in the attack, which triggered Israeli air raids. Hezbollah militants have countered by sending hundreds of rockets into northern Israel.