Protesters defy Gatineau mayor's request to vacate archeological site

  • 主题发起人 主题发起人 guest
  • 开始时间 开始时间

guest

Moderator
管理成员
注册
2002-10-07
消息
402,610
荣誉分数
76
声望点数
228
Native protesters vow they’ll remain at their month-old Gatineau camp out on the site of the discovery of artifacts more than 3,000 years old, despite warnings from Gatineau’s mayor that the city might force them out.

“I’m not leaving,” Roger Fleury, chief of off-reserve Algonquin people, said Wednesday. He has been leading the protest since early August at the site on Rue Jacques-Cartier, close to the intersection of the Gatineau and Ottawa rivers.

Fleury’s comments come a day after Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pedneaud-Jobin said it was time for the protesters to leave, warning that police could get involved.

Near the protest site, construction workers are working on the city’s $43-million waterfront improvement project, partly funded by the NCC.

An archeological dig at the site ended in July after finding evidence of a native encampment including artifacts such as arrow tips, knives, fish bones and a wooden chisel from between 3,000 and 3,500 years ago. By early August, the site had been filled in.

“There could be more (artifacts),” Fleury said Wednesday, adding the city has not been transparent in telling the protesters precisely what has been found in the dig.

Fleury said the site has an unusual concentration of objects in good condition.

“It’s a goldmine.”

Fleury said he emailed the mayor suggesting a negotiated settlement, but has yet to hear back for that request, or his other demands, including that the search be extended and overseen by an independent observer.

“(The city) said lies all the way,” he said, adding the focus has been on development rather than preservation.

“I’m sad that we have to be here with teepees to protect an archeological site when the city should be doing that. We shouldn’t be fighting among ourselves.”

The city has previously said it is open to installing a monument, bench or small display featuring found artifacts that were found in the dig.

City spokesman Yves Melanson said the mayor discussed the protest at Gatineau’s executive committee meeting Wednesday morning and would have a further statement later in the day.

Pedneaud-Jobin did not immediately respond to the Citizen’s request for comment.

— More to come



b.gif


查看原文...
 
后退
顶部
首页 论坛
消息
我的