COVID-19: Decision on Ontario school year coming 'soon'; Province reports 1st death from blood clot linked to AstraZeneca vaccine
Ontario also reported its first death associated with a rare blood clotting disorder linked to the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. The man was in his 40s and received his vaccine at the end of April. He died a few weeks later of vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia, Ontario’s associate medical officer of health, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, confirmed Tuesday.
Nearly one million people in Ontario aged 40 and older have received the AstraZeneca vaccine. The province suspended the use of the vaccine in first doses on May 11, but has approved it for second doses for those who’ve already received it. There have been 13 cases of VIIT in the province so far, Yaffe said.
“The risks associated with this vaccine are rare, but they are real,” Yaffe said.
But she also said that those who received a first dose of AstraZeneca made the right choice. Experts maintain the blood-clotting syndrome associated with the AstraZeneca shot is exceedingly rare and treatable in most cases.
“I want to take this opportunity to reiterate that those who received AstraZeneca vaccine should feel very confident in their decision,” she said.