孤仙烟客
逍遥散人
- 注册
- 2004-04-02
- 消息
- 1,351
- 荣誉分数
- 11
- 声望点数
- 0
A 21-year-old man has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of nine-year-old Cecilia Zhang, police confirmed Thursday.
Min Chen, 21, has been charged with first-degree murder. He is a Chinese national who has been on a student visa from Shanghai since 2001.
"We have resolved this case, and we intend to bring the person responsible to justice," Peel Police chief Noel Catney told a news conference.
"Yes there is some satisfaction. There is some elation. But without question I think I reflect the position of the task force members...it is superseded still by our sadness and by our loss."
Cecilia was abducted from her north Toronto home last Oct. 20th, after going to bed. Police found her body more than five months later -- on March 27th -- in a wooded area west of the city.
Chen was arrested on Wednesday at 11:05 a.m. ET at his Scarborough home. He made a brief court appearance this morning and will be back in court Aug. 19th.
CFTO News reporter Jim Junkin said the accused never lived at the Zhang home, or was a boarder. However, there may be a link between the accused and someone who did rent a room from the Zhang's.
Earlier, media reports had suggested two people had been arrested in the case.
Cecilia's father, Raymond Zhang, told CFTO News by telephone Thursday morning that he was grateful for what the police have done. "They are working very hard and they are very intelligent."
Catney went through the alleged events leading up to the little girl's disappearance. He said an assailant entered the house at approximately 3:30 a.m. through a rear window in the kitchen area of the home.
The assailant went to Cecilia's bedroom and removed her from the home. He left through a side door exit and took her to an unknown location, Catney said.
Despite an exhaustive search, her body wasn't found until more than five months later, by a resident of the Peel region out for a walk.
The case of Cecilia Zhang drew international attention and the search for Cecilia reached as far as Asia, where police travelled in an attempt to gather leads.
It was originally thought Cecilia, a grade four gifted student, was kidnapped for ransom, but no ransom demand was known to have been received.
Weeks after the girl's skeletal remains were discovered west of Toronto, the lead investigator in the case called the murder "absolutely a solvable crime."
Family friend Jack Jai said he hopes the arrests will help Raymond and his wife, Sherry, move on.
"I hope and all his friends are hoping they will move on for their lives," he told CFTO.
Min Chen, 21, has been charged with first-degree murder. He is a Chinese national who has been on a student visa from Shanghai since 2001.
"We have resolved this case, and we intend to bring the person responsible to justice," Peel Police chief Noel Catney told a news conference.
"Yes there is some satisfaction. There is some elation. But without question I think I reflect the position of the task force members...it is superseded still by our sadness and by our loss."
Cecilia was abducted from her north Toronto home last Oct. 20th, after going to bed. Police found her body more than five months later -- on March 27th -- in a wooded area west of the city.
Chen was arrested on Wednesday at 11:05 a.m. ET at his Scarborough home. He made a brief court appearance this morning and will be back in court Aug. 19th.
CFTO News reporter Jim Junkin said the accused never lived at the Zhang home, or was a boarder. However, there may be a link between the accused and someone who did rent a room from the Zhang's.
Earlier, media reports had suggested two people had been arrested in the case.
Cecilia's father, Raymond Zhang, told CFTO News by telephone Thursday morning that he was grateful for what the police have done. "They are working very hard and they are very intelligent."
Catney went through the alleged events leading up to the little girl's disappearance. He said an assailant entered the house at approximately 3:30 a.m. through a rear window in the kitchen area of the home.
The assailant went to Cecilia's bedroom and removed her from the home. He left through a side door exit and took her to an unknown location, Catney said.
Despite an exhaustive search, her body wasn't found until more than five months later, by a resident of the Peel region out for a walk.
The case of Cecilia Zhang drew international attention and the search for Cecilia reached as far as Asia, where police travelled in an attempt to gather leads.
It was originally thought Cecilia, a grade four gifted student, was kidnapped for ransom, but no ransom demand was known to have been received.
Weeks after the girl's skeletal remains were discovered west of Toronto, the lead investigator in the case called the murder "absolutely a solvable crime."
Family friend Jack Jai said he hopes the arrests will help Raymond and his wife, Sherry, move on.
"I hope and all his friends are hoping they will move on for their lives," he told CFTO.