加国防部仍未正式确认加维护人员死亡

mamaomao

知名会员
注册
2005-01-15
消息
15,179
荣誉分数
13
声望点数
198
Defence officials await formal word on UN peacekeeper
POSTED AT 11:02 AM EDT ON 27/07/06
TERRY WEBER
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060727.wdefen0727/BNStory/International/home

Globe and Mail Update

Defence officials were still awaiting confirmation Thursday that a Canadian peacekeeper classified as missing and presumed dead was killed in fatal bombing of a UN observation post in Lebanon.

A spokeswoman for National Defence in Ottawa said there had been no further word on Major Paeta Derek Hess-von Kruedener early Thursday.

Major Hess-von Kruedener, who was serving with the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization, is believed to be one of four UN peacekeepers killed when a bomb hit their post in the town of Khiyam, near the eastern end of Lebanon's border with Israel.

Ottawa has only said that Major Hess-von Kruedener is considered missing and presumed dead. Officials would not say Thursday how long it would take to conclude the investigation.
渥太华只是说Major Hess-von Kruedener被认为只是一名失踪和假定死亡。他的死不需要调查。

The incident sparked rage around the globe, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper saying he wants explanations from both the UN and the Israeli government about the circumstances surrounding the “terrible tragedy.”

Mr. Harper, who spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Wednesday afternoon, has offered no condemnation of that government but has questioned why the UN post was still being manned despite the dangerous circumstances.

The Israeli Prime Minister has offered his country's “regret” over what was called the “unintentional killing” of the UN observers.

On Wednesday, an international emergency summit in Rome on the Middle East crisis failed to reach a consensus on a plan to force an end to fighting between Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas. Instead, officials said they would continue to work toward a plan for an immediate ceasefire.

Meanwhile, the bodies of two Canadian soldiers killed last weekend in suicide attack in Afghanistan were expected to be returned to this country later Thursday.

A repatriation ceremony for Corporal Francisco Gomez, 44, of Edmonton and Corporal Jason Warren, 29, of Montreal was to be held at 8:30 p.m. EDT at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario.

Governor-General Michaëlle Jean, Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor and Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier were to attend the service.

Corporals Gomez and Warren were killed in a suicide vehicle attack last Saturday five kilometres west of Kandahar.

So far 20 Canadians ? 19 members of the Canadian Forces and one Canadian diplomat ? have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

A statement issued by Cpl. Warren's family on Tuesday remembered the 29-year-old soldier as a faithful son and brother and a committed member of the Canadian Forces.

“Jason will be remembered as a caring, sensitive boy with a great and unique sense of humour,” his family said.

“He loved to laugh and he loved to make others laugh. He was a hard worker who loved being a soldier and being around other soldiers.”

The two died Saturday when a bomber detonated a car filled with explosives beside their Bison armoured vehicle as they travelled back to Kandahar from fighting west of the city.
 
0727peacekeeper.jpg


A photo provided to CTV.ca by Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener. He was pictured in South Lebanon in March, 2006. (CTV.ca)
 
后退
顶部
首页 论坛
消息
我的